Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Managed Firewall Service - Opinions

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:17:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Fiamingo, Frank wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with companies that do this that they would
like to share?

I'd prefer to keep "Foo does this" discussions off-list, please reply to
Frank directly with proposals, gripes and praises.)  A summary at the end
probably wouldn't be too untoward, but I'd like to try to sidestep the
conflict-of-interest and vendor-centricities that such questions pose as
much as possible.

What are a few pros and cons that come to mind versus managing the firewalls
yourself?

I consider this completely fair game for the list.

Do these companies manage the firewalls as we currently have them, or do
they install/configure
their own? - currently we use Gauntlet firewalls.

Most players will do either, though their core competencies tend to be
for a handful of products.

Paul