Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Warchalking Summary

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:06:39 -0400 (EDT)

I recieved about a dozen replies[1] to my query about the popularity of
"warchalking" in the press versus the "real world."  All but one of the
replies hadn't seen any evidence of activity at all.  This pretty much
squares with all the checking done by my collegues, who've often pointed
out that the information is generally either widely available on Web
sites, or quietly held by the discoverer.

It's a pity that the press doesn't focus more on the open wireless network
rather than the discovery of it- but "make sure your security doesn't
suck" isn't all that newsworthy I suppose.

I'd like to thank all those who took time to respond.  It's good to be
able to do a sanity check.

Thanks,

Paul
[1] 1 .au, 1 .uk and the rest mostly eastern US.