Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN concentrators

From: scouser () paradise net nz
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:53:38 +1200 (NZST)

The redundancy is provided by an identical set up at a separate location
(geographically) with its own internet feed
etc..
Basically we would fail over the external route using bgp and the external route
using a load balancing switch (not
pictured in the diagram to keep it simple, between inside network and the
firewall) which would fail over a route using
OSPF or similar.

Do not have this working, but have used a similar desing ( for redundancy) for
other projects.
It is slightly more complicated than that as I would also have an additional DMZ
for mail and web cache servers etc..
but the questions were focused on the VPN which is the part I have not done before)

regards
james

Quoting Patrick Darden <darden () armc org>:

So, you have traffic coming thru your bastion router, hitting your
firewall, and if vpn traffic then routed to the vpn engine, then routed
back to the firewall on another interface, then into your internal
network. Have you made this work? Where is your second vpn switch for
redundancy and failover? How does vrrp/whatever work? Frankly, it looks
unwieldy--but you can't argue with success. I'd be interested in more
details.

--
--Patrick Darden Internetworking Manager
-- 706.475.3312 darden () armc org