Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OBSD reaction to CERT advisory

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:45:48 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Daniel Hartmeier, sie wrote:
[...]
Mikael, can you recommend a suitable OS and ftp daemon combination that
allows testing (the ftp server has commands that quote queries in the
needed way and the OS' stack does partial retransmissions)?

Tell me what fool would agree to this setup ?

This is like a "Watch me tunnel IP packets over DNS and show you how
your firewall does not stop me hack internal boxes" where someone gets
to pick the DNS server on the inside and outside.  Pick a vendor's
distribution that you think will work.

That brings me to another point, that was sorely missed in all the
public material I've seen so far, except maybe by Sun (and in the
wrong way) and that is you need a very special ftp daemon (i.e. not
any of the vendor ones I have tried) before it will stand a chance
of defeating IPFilter.

Darren