Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OBSD reaction to CERT advisory

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:48:00 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Daniel Hartmeier, sie wrote:
[...]
And, yes, based solely on code inspection, I'm very confident that
IPFilter is vulnerable to this attack.

Note, this statement: "code inspection".  Not a code walk through or
even an actual test.

If anyone fancies a little
competition, set up an ftp server behind an IPFilter firewall. Allow me
to connect to the ftp server (using passive mode, so the in-kernel ftp
proxy allows incoming ftp data connections). Setup a fake target, like
an echo "secret" inetd.conf entry, and absolutely filter any access to
that port on the firewall. If I can connect to that port and get the
secret, I win. How much are you betting?

How much are you prepared to lose ?

Darren