Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Annoying pop-ups

From: Gregory Austin <gaustin () rkon com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:52:01 -0600

Mikael,

While I generally despise Microsoft, I don't think it's fair to call having a messenger service a newfangled evil. RPC.rwalld's been around on most POSIX systems forever. Personally I see this messenger service spam business as a non-issue. To me, anybody who is affected by it is just paying up their stupidity tax when they have to click ok. With all the free or cheap personal firewall software available there isn't a whole lot of excuse for anybody to get hit by this traffic from the Internet--not even home users (and if this traffic is getting to them, pop-ups could easily be the least of their problems).

Greg