Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: httport 3snf

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:25:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Duncan wrote:

Paul,
    Thank you for your words. It helps to expand on these issues, to
    better understand how different environments work.

Thanks for "baring your soul" here, I'm really hoping that some folks get
a chance to think about the pitfalls *before* they end up in them.

I don't know about others, but I found that being in the role of Firewall engineer,
or Sr. Network Engineer did not appear to lead ANY credeance to input into the
security policies of most of the companies I have worked for.

I spent eight years at my last company, and when I wrote the policy, it
was really the first "security" policy instead of HR-aimed usage document.
I fuly believe that the person who's doing the job needs to *own* the
policy, needs to negotiate its terms with executive management and
negotiate enforcement with upper management and users' managers.  In that
organization, action based on something bad was normally up to the direct
supervisor of the employee- so I just had the conversation with the
manager about what I expected was acceptable use, and if I wasn't happy
with their proposed remedy (as in "This won't happen again," not as in
"I'm going to do Y to the employee") then I'd explain what it was going to
take to get their segment reconnected to the greater intranetwork upon a
repeat infraction.  It was often up to them if I would even directly
address the employee.

I don't recall any repeat infractions, but politically my position was
tenuos a lot of the time, and I had to be very careful about my
interactions.  Fortunately, from at least the Vice Chairman down- there
was strong support for "doing the right thing," "protecting our
investors," etc.  So my direct line of reporting supported me and
understood that I was "The guy who said No."  I'd generally offer some
alternatives, most of them requiring capital to implement, but I wasn't
there to make people happy in my security role.  In my network
architecture role, that was a different story.

Yes I also spent many hours attempting to educate management into risks in
our networks based on examples. Too many responses have been of the
nature of:

    a: Well our users are not that technically knowledegeable.

Devleopment departments are wonderful examples of how they are :)

    b: No one really has the time or tools to sniff for packets on the network.
    c: That sounds paranoid.

"Of course it's paranoid, so is having a firewall, locking doors at night,
etc."

    d: Desktop support can't be expected to support that level of control over
        user desktops.

"Cool- lemme show you the new architecture that means they won't hafta
worry."

The best one IMHO is:

    Well if you ever see that happening be sure to report it.

With the obvious follow-up of "But he does his job *really* well, we
couldn't possibly replace him!"

First of all, policy *has* to have support from the highest levels, or
it's going to be useless.  Secondly, you must be able to articulate risk
well to get a good policy and to get backing for enforcement.

The source of one of these was the IT director of the Software company with signoff
from the CEO. I and one of my contractors supplied suggested changes to help
the process, but was otherwise ignored.

Sometimes that's all you can do until you get to hand out the nice shiny
new Itoldya awards.

My understanding of support for such policies is that if my management has the
ability to fire the offender then a its usually worth my effort. But otherwise
company politics takes over and its just trying to keep the damage under
control.

I had a good portion of the immediate company under the impression that
anything they did was being monitored and tallied up for later evaluation.
It helped a lot, it hindered occasionally.

    "XX. Internet usage is only for approved business purposes. Personal use
        (access) is prohibited."

In a lot of places, having a policy that's not enforced (and I've yet to
be anywhere that had a prohibition rather than a few restrictions on
personal usage) is worse than no policy at all.  I'd have spent some time
detailing the legal risks, then presented them in writing.

The justification I have been given for this has been that it just makes
terminating a low performer eaiser. Otherwise its not enforced, nor did
management want to know where employees were surfing.

That's how most places start out.  If you want to own security, then you
have to move them out of the early nineties or change jobs often.

My current employer has the same policy. :-(

A chance to correct is a chance to win.

Paul