Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: httport 3snf

From: "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes () deloitte co za>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:02:44 +0200

Require authentication for outgoing SSL requests through your proxy server.

Log excessive requests to a particular server. Excessive by number of
requests, as well as by data volume. This becomes particularly relevant if
you can do it by userid, if you are authenticating requests. Students making
use of httport will typically only show a single site in their request
lists, since all outgoing requests will be tunnelled through that site.

Also consider monitoring how much data is *sent* as part of the request if
you can. Typically web surfing has a very low sent/received ratio.
Connections/requests that are higher than average may indicate different
protocols being tunnelled.

Also, identify the public httport servers (from the web site), and put
explicit block rules in your proxy or firewall.

Try using something like ngrep on port 443 for strings that httport uses as
part of the protocol. This is the one most likely to achieve the results you
need, but would involve setting up a client, a host, and a sniffer to
determine what those strings are.

Of course, if the traffic is encrypted, as they seem to offer, you could try
running ssldump with the keypair supplied with the software. (I assume it is
SSL compatible, if not, you're out of luck on that one) See above Re traffic
analysis.

Finally, and this should really be the first action, update your policy to
make "bypassing firewall restrictions" a punishable offence.

Good luck.

Rogan