Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hunt for VPN devices

From: Lorens Kockum <firewall-wizards-20021015 () tagged lorens org>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:08:04 +0200

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:00:08PM -0700, Jeff Boles wrote:
Hate to ask this question here, but I'm a bit stumped - are there any
dedicated VPN devices left on the market?

I used to love the redcreek dedicated vpn devices (before they were acquired
by SonicWall).

These days, seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router
box, and I favor architectures which don't really use VPN on either.  Still
stuck on the idea of being able to run and manage VPN separately, and

NetScreen ? Can firewall too (and does it correctly AFAIK) but
you don't *have* to use the firewall. I have seen it marketed
as an inexpensive device to put at branch offices, and it seems
it isn't expensive at all (a lot less than the purchase price
for a PC running Linux, not considering price of setup, power,
maintenance, space . . .).

Disclaimer: I haven't put my hands on it myself, only talked to
people very happy with it.

As an option, there's a management program for "a lot of
NetScreens, it's really cool", but I've never seen it, never
talked to anyone who has used it (and therefore none who could
compare it to NetPartitioner, favorably or not (Disclaimer2:
personal pro-NetPartitioner bias)) and I don't have the
slightest idea as to pricing.

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum