Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: HOW TO Guide for testing firewalls?

From: "Ames, Neil" <NAmes () anteon com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:19:13 -0400

Robert,
        I have been trying to sort through the host-based firewall puzzle
and was referred to Okena's "Evaluator's Guide"
(http://www.okena.com/Pdf/SW_v3_%20Reviewers_Guide.pdf).  It may be a useful
document for your purposes.  There is a good bit of product information, but
you  can scan through that and get to the ideas on a test setup, things to
test, and tools to use for the tests (NMAP, NESSUS, Windump, Firehole,
netcat, etc.).  It's not really a step-by-step guide, but you can add
available guides (to the tools) to what Okena has given you for a pretty
good picture of "standard" vulnerabilities.
        My big issue with scoping testing host-based firewalls is that there
are two significantly different categories, the network traffic-filtering
variety and those that watch every application that tries to use the
network.  You would think that the application-control firewalls would be a
superset of the host-based firewalls, but that is not the case.  More on
that later.

Thank you,

Fritz