Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: QoS and P2P?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:21:12 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:

To me, the only solution is to set up a "bandwidth balancer" that
portions out the available bandwidth in a fair way. This way, it
doesn't matter what they're running. If they're l33ch1ng too hard,
well, _their_ downloads are likely the ones to be limited the most
by the per-user bandwidth limits as they start decreasing in
response to overload.

That's QoS- which is a different part of the problem.  Increasingly, real
pressure is being put on network operators to stop "bad packets" (and all
the stupidity that entails) by those who write the checks and don't want
to write a raft of them to lawyers.

If stopping causal usage stops the overbroad lawyer pointing, then that's
probably "good enough" because there's a "bad apple" defense for the folks
who are going out of their way to bypass the controls.  I thought it was
an interesting use of QoS to use it in such a role, and was wondering not
only how effective it was, but what alternatives exist that would do the
same sort of thing.  I'll be summarizing the responses once I'm pretty
sure I've got all the interesting stuff.

Paul