Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () mitretek org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:30:06 -0400

At 05:27 PM 7/16/2002 -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 07:50:40AM -0500, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:
> Is the Firewall Toolkit still a viable solution nowadays? At least as an
> email gateway with smap/smapd-type functionality?

Somewhat aged.  Independent support exists in the form of patches found
at www.fwtk.org.  It is still a viable solution, with those patches.
Smap is quite fast - provided you find the right balance of how
frequently to call 'smapd'.

The important part of using a patched smap is to provide anti-relay and anti-spam capabilities. The spam-rejection capabilities are pretty broad - there's things I can do to block spam with smap that qmail and postfix can't do.

I am distressed to hear that TIS Labs was separated from Gauntlet.  NAI
did some things to it that I didn't like, who knows what SCC will do?
[Besides just strip it for parts for Sidewinder.]

I was also surprised by this - it appeared that NAI was close to finally allowing FWTK to slip into the public domain. Now, I don't even know what NAI Labs is going to do - or even who owns the FWTK (SCC or NAI).
        -Rick