Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Jerry Wintrode <wintrojr () tripos com>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 09:19:25 -0500

Exim is a great choice, version 4 has advanced ACL's. I use it to
forward mail to a scanner for virus and content filtering.

www.exim.org

Jerry Wintrode

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 07:50, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:
Is the Firewall Toolkit still a viable solution nowadays? At least as an
email gateway with smap/smapd-type functionality?

My situation is that I want to build an email gateway, located in a DMZ that
simply accepts email from the Internet, and forwards into the Internal
network (and vice versa - i.e. accept from Internal network and forward to
Internet).

I really just want Gauntlet's smap/smapd functionality as the receiver, in
conjunction with sendmail as the deliverer. It doesn't seem morally right to
just strip the code from an existing Gauntlet, so this lead me to the FWTK
site. Looking for the last released version I found:

"The latest released/stable version is 2.1. It was released on February
27th, 1998. However, a second version of 2.1 was released on March 2nd,1998
which fixes a minor bug."

which made me wonder whether this smap/smapd was still "up to par" in
today's environments. I feel pretty comfortable securing a Solaris machine
down to just the minimum requirements, so no need to 'splain the details of
how to secure it down to run only an email gateway. I am looking for info on
"Should this still be used in a commercial, production environment?" and "Is
the config similar to Gauntlet's netperm-table, or what?"

The license agreement appears to me to say only "Non-Commercial" and I want
to abide by that if I have interpreted it correctly. (Is there anyone still
at tislabs.com after being sold one more time to Secure Computing?)

If it is truly only for non-comm use, anyone have any suggestions on
alternatives? I don't really want to use sendmail as a receiver, exposed to
the Internet and all that jazz. I have looked at postfix (minimally), but I
just didn't get a good feeling about using it, but maybe I need to take
another look.

Any help is appreciated.