Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Firewalls breaking stuff: [Was re: fwtk]

From: Dana Nowell <DanaNowell () cornerstonesoftware com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:29:36 -0400

At 04:14 PM 7/23/2002 -0400, Paul Robertson wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dana Nowell wrote:

In my experience, it depends :-).  In general if the code removed was all
the simple boilerplate stuff and the code remaining was all the nasty
complex stuff, the absolute number of bugs remains roughly constant and the
number/kloc increases.  It's the age old issue, bugs/kloc implies that all

Right, there's a complexity modifier, however it averages out if the
project is large enough (think of it as bug cost averaging.)  However, on
suitably large projects, there's a somewhat offsetting "bordom" related
thing- and with some development teams, the emphasis gets put on debugging
and verifying the "hard parts" rather than all of the code.

My bad, the example sucked, try changing: "Take a good programmer, have ...
even heard of before, wanna bet the bugs/kloc are the same?" to "Take a
good programmer, have him/her write APPLICATION code they are used to
writing, take same programmer have them write nasty low level SECURITY
ORIENTED protocol crap they have never even heard of before, wanna bet the
bugs/kloc are the same?"

My complaint with kloc number usage is the frequent misuse of "all things
are created equal" logic.  Programmers aren't equal and tasks aren't
equally suited to all programmers.  In general, application UI programmers
do not make good security coders and security guys sometimes have trouble
spelling UI (that's COMMANDLINE right?).

The point I was trying to make was: if the code you remove from the project
is coding that the developer on the project is good at and the code you
leave in is the coding they suck at, the bugs/kloc is what changes, not the
number of bugs in the application.

In today's world where Joe Average Application Coder is hanging stuff off
the Internet, sucking down just any old packet that happens along, I get
scared.  Telling me that you are going to have him slash half the
application features/code and STILL hang it off the 'net, doesn't make me
half as scared.  But hey, if it's half the code it's half the kloc so it's
half the bugs, right?  Of course, it's probably half that I don't really
care about as they aren't security related.  But damn, we nailed that typo
in the screen label by removing the screen from the functionality, one down.

Dana Nowell     Cornerstone Software Inc.
Voice: (603) 595-7480 Fax: (603) 882-7313
mailto:DanaNowell () CornerstoneSoftware com