Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: w00w00 on AIM Filter (Backdoors & SpyWare)

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:45:51 -0500 (EST)

Shades of almost every major exploit (human engineering)

From: Chad Schieken [mailto:cschieken () lucent com]
Exactly how does a firewall protect against this type of attack?

How could it?

Very similair to the webx support trojan topic not to far back in the
distant past on the firewalls list, ask Mr. Robertson about that thread,
which all started with an admin asking after installing it, how could this
little diddy be stopped?  Well we replied, don't install it for them to
use...it got a whole thing going about what is and what is not a trojan
and various other aspects that has kept Mr. Robertson quite busy <smile>.
Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!