Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCC buys Gauntlet

From: Tina Bird <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:25:44 -0600 (CST)

I've been running Sidewinders both locally
and remotely since 1996.  You'll probably
be pleasantly surprised.  I nearly uniformly
use Dell rackmount servers, although I've built
my own PC hardware in a few cases for customers
that had special requirements (token ring,
anyone?).  In the last two years on the
networks I use, we've had three or four Sun
disk failures, CPU deaths, and at least one
memory problem -- during the same time period
the PC hardware hosting my corporate Sidewinders
has been solid as a rock.

I'm continually amazed when people report that
Sidewinder isn't sufficiently customizable.
I find it vastly easier to work on than Gauntlet
or FW-1, primarily because it's much closer to
UNIX -- i.e. based on text config files which
are nearly natural language, rather than
proprietary coding languages.  What do you need
the systems to do?  I got IPsec running >through<
a Sidewinder long before anyone seemed to be able
to do that on a Gauntlet.

Plus, you get the great advantage of not having to
build and maintain the underlying operating
system, since it's all bundled -- and the joy of
a mandatory access control operating system,
which amongst other things means that you've got
built in damage control against exploits and bugs,
not to mention a new set of alarms and audits
that will go off when evildoers start misbehaving.

I know my old Gauntlet customers are going to be
pretty happy, once they get over the shot.

tbird
Sidewinder evangelist
no, they don't pay me