Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Link from DMZ to Internal Apps

From: "Benjamin P. Grubin" <bgrubin () pobox com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:49:45 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () nfr com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () nfr com] On Behalf Of Uri Lichtenfeld
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 11:38 AM
To: 'firewall-wizards () nfr com'
Subject: Re: Re: [fw-wiz] Link from DMZ to Internal Apps

Dear Guess Who,

The first thing to realize that there is no one panacea
solution that will
end all your woes and solve all your problems. I think you
should consider
looking at a product called e-Gap e-Business by Whale
Communications. It
attempts to address the very same issues you raised of publishing web
applications from unknown or "not 100% reliable" sources securely and
without the requirement of VPN tools. Again, this product is
a good quick
solution to help solve most of the issues but its no replacement to a
complete plan with policies, planning and education in place.

Nice brochure.  You folks might want to coordinate with each other so
only one person advertises your product on a technical list per
question.

The idea of the product is that it provides full protection
from all aspects
of web hacking. Everything from protection of the network layer to the
application layer (while including authentication and
encryption). There's

"Full protection from all aspects of web hacking"?  Most firewall
marketing said precisely this 7 years ago.  I've done a lot of looking
at the technology, and honestly there's a wealth of application-layer
attacks that still work through "air gap" technology.  While it may
prevent most if not all network-layer attacks, there is still the
question of seemingly valid application traffic that causes a DoS or
security breach.

The only advantage of an "air gap" versus an application proxy on a
secure platform that I've ever been able to truly reconcile is the
absolute "fail open" state (fail open being to fail in such a way that
it is impossible to pass traffic).  If anything, an application proxy
gives you more flexibility to do additional inspection.  I'm open to
non-marketing explanations of the power of an "air gap" other than (1)
fail open, which is of dubious value, since a fail closed state for a
secure application proxies is about as likely as pigs flying, or (2) the
other dubious distinction of allowing one to circumvent a requirement
for highly classified networks that they be physically separated.

I'm open to Whale people (or SpearHead) trying to explain the advantages
over an application proxy running on a secure platform (how about a
blow-by-blow against Argus Systems' proxy technology, for instance).
I'm would also encourage anyone using these systems in a production
environment, and willing to provide some feedback on manageability,
performance, flexibility, reporting, etc to do so.

I've always considered these systems somewhat of a marketing gimmick.
Some use SCSI (whale), some use a magic chip (SpearHead--who it seems
now calls their technology "Reflective Gap" whatever that's supposed to
mean) but at the end of the day, it's still a proxy at a premium price.

Cheers,
Benjamin P. Grubin, CISSP, GIAC