Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Netscreen 50

From: "Bill Jaeger" <wlj () interNook net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:23:37 -0500

Hi Malcolm,

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the NetScreen as compared to the other
firewalls.  However, I wanted to point out that the GNAT Box firewalls are
not limited to "office" applications.  The higher end models (GB-Flash and
GB-1000) may well meet your needs.  Pricing is quite attractive, too.  I
believe that the list price on the GB-Flash is $1500 USD and the GB-1000 is
$2700 USD.

The GB-1000 is a 1RU appliance with 4x100Mbps Ethernet interfaces and an
Intel Celeron 500MHz processor.  The GB-Flash allows you to deploy the
firewall on whatever Intel-based hardware platform you choose.  You can find
out more information at http://www.gnatbox.com .

I've been using a GB-1000 for about 1.25 years to segregate 4 different
100Mbps full duplex network segments with a fairly rigid rule set.  In doing
so, I haven't noticed any significant performance degradation.  I suspect
that if it works OK in my environment, it should work OK in yours (but be
sure to verify!  ;)

BTW, I have no relationship to GTA (the company that makes the GNAT Box)
other than as a reasonably satisfied customer.

Please let me know if you'd like additional info.

-Bill