Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Netscreen firewall and portscans?

From: Edward <edward () west net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:26:36 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Boni Bruno wrote:

Netscreen itself is primarily a firewall with some Firewall Protection
settings and a nice malicious URL detection feature, but in no way is
it an advanced intrusion detection system.  The firewall protection
features are as follows:

Detect SYN Attacks, ICMP Flood, UDP Flood, Ping of Death, WinNuke,
Detect Port Scan, Land Attack, TearDrop, Source Route Packets,
Detect Address Sweep Attacks, and IP Spoofing.

The SYN Attacks, ICMP & UDP Flood have configurable threshold which if
set to low can produce false positives.  This may be the problem with
the client trying to contact you.  However, they have to produce a log
to merit any attention....

The Port Scan Detection feature is only triggered if a given source
address attempts quick connections to multiple ports on the destination
network the firewall is protecting.  This is not a common characteristic
for any web server, even if its behind BIGIP.

I have :)  We're running two BigIP's and I occasionally get complaints
from customers regarding port scans with a source port of 80 and the
source IP of our BigIP's VIP.  We're using 3.3.1PTF-02 Build2.

Some of our application uses http redirects along with Mirror Image for
CDN services.  Every now and then I get a complaint from a customer with a
Netscreen appliance.  After extremely thorough research and a few calls to
F5 I've written this off as a bug in the Netscreen's code.

  - Edward

(Tell Marco & Louis I said hi :)

I have seen some load balances utilizing virtual IPs trigger SYN
attacks due to not acknowledging SYN packets correctly, but never
triggering a PORT SCAN attack.  I suspect the remote Netscreen firewall
may be complaining about a SYN attack rather than a Port Scan.  Again,
without a log, the end user can not be taken seriously.

Regards,

-boni bruno

[snip]