Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCC buys Gauntlet

From: Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:59:55 -0600

Kevin,

#Now SCC owns the Gauntlet product, and apparently intends to terminate
Sparc support, but #would like to retain us (and other large organizations)
as customers.  That is our #complaint.

     If Secure Computing was to retain the Guantlet they would be foolish
to get rid of Solaris support.  Their best bet would be to keep Solaris
support and get rid of support for all of the other OS's.  The only
valuable thing about Guantlet as an entire product is SPARC hardware
support since Secure Computing already has an excellent firewall that runs
on Intel hardware.  They do get this exact SPARC vs. Intel question and
questions about how much traffic the Sidewinder can handle on sales calls
so if they keep Guantlet then that question could be answered with another
Secure Computing product.  My prediction is that Guantlet will not survive
as a seperate product but if it did it would absolutely be supported on
SPARC hardware.  Have you received anything official from Secure Computing
yet discussing what they plan to do?

#Now SCC owns the Gauntlet product, and apparently intends to terminate
Sparc support, but #would like to retain us (and other large
organizations)as customers.  That is our #complaint.

     Secure Computing made a very good business move here.  They bought out
their largest (?) competitor in the application layer firewall business.
Now to complete that business manuever they need to dump one of their two
firewalls and invest all of their efforts in the other firewall.  I would
be shocked if they dumped Sidewinder and focused on Guantlet since the
Sidewinder is their baby.  In your case it is not a decision that is in
your best interest but Secure Computing has to make decisions in their best
interest too or they will not survive as a company.  I suspect that enough
Guantlet customers will switch over to Sidewinder to make it a profitable
move.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser