Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: recent disclosure debates

From: Barney Wolff <barney () tp databus com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:41:36 -0500

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:49:02PM -0500, R. DuFresne wrote:

I'm wondering why all the fingers are pointing so dramatically at ISS and
why ISC has received little or no heat in the issue.  It appears in other
postings through bugtraq that ISS and ISC worked together for at leat a
month on the issues ISS released their advisory on and for which patches
seem to be dated back to as ISC fixes to code.  From all the reading I've
followed there was a coordinated effort that failed when it came time to
make the patches available to the public, after members of BIND Forum were
notified and given advance patches.  so, I'm wondering why ISS gotso much
bad press on this issue and ISC remained unscathed for the most part.

Because, as I understand the events, ISS and ISC agreed in advance on
a date for the patches to be available, but when the date came ISS
released the vulnerability without checking that the patches were in
fact available.  So for lack of a few minutes effort a nasty situation
was allowed to develop.  I'd welcome correction by anybody from ISS or
ISC who actually knows what happened.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.