Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Outlook Web Access - Paranoid?

From: "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen () punkt de>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:57:58 +0100 (CET)

Hi Wizards!

We're trying to come up with the least dangerous method of
allowing our
users to check their email on MS Exchange. We currently allow
them to use
POP3 only. Our management would like to use Outlook Web Access. I have
followed the issue on several mailing lists. I know it's a
bad idea to use
Exchange at all but management thinks I am too paranoid on
this issue.

It seems the best method is a reverse proxy using squid on a
DMZ machine and
then into the IIS server on the inside over SSL. What are your
opinions/suggestions on this issue? Do you have any other
methods that are
more secure?

Possibly this has been stated before and I missed that particular mail.
Sorry, if this is indeed the case.

IMHO the only reasonably secure way to allow external users
to access their email and calendars while keeping all (well, most)
of Exchange's features is establishing a VPN tunnel to the Exchange
server.

Then it's up to the user to choose from accessing Exchange directly
with Outlook or using OWA - depending on the performance of his/her
Internet/VPN connection.

I can't think of any other method that adds _any_ security to the
application. If you suspect that OWA is susceptible to all kinds
of buffer overflows etc. it doesn't matter if you use SSL or
some kind of DMZ setup or else. You need to establish a secure
channel first, with strong authentication, then allow the authenticated
insider to access the insecure application.

Note that this is completely ignoring the threat posed by malvolent
insiders. ;-)

Regards,

Patrick M. Hausen
Technical Director
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Scheffelstr. 17 a     Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100