Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE:Vulnerability Scanners ( was: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem )

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:26:22 -0400

-------------
>That's when positive
>authentication is necessary.  One needs to know its positively Jane Doe that
>went to the porn site (which is against policy) or it was someone who sat
>down at her authenticated workstation when she walked away without logging
>off (which is against policy) before disciplinary actions are initiated.

You'll need non-repudiable authentication (evidence), as a court of law would describe. How would you propose to verify Jim was at Jane's workstation at the time of the porn site visit? In addition to "strong authentication" as we define it today, do you propose cameras? Keyloggers that distinguish typing behavior?

Something that's annoyed me for ages is the distinction that policy violations conducted through computing and networking are so different from any other medium. If an employee uses his phone card to dial a phone sex number during work hours, from a business phone, is it as serious an offense (granted, there's no temporary or long term cache of the "image" unless he's taped the conversation). What about print media and fax (although I've never heard of fax sex?)

Content inspection is an odd business, and it seems perpetually focused on computer networking. My point is that I've seen some policies that don't uniformly treat all media - it's acceptable to have a sexy calendar, but not to visit Victoria's Secret online, or thumb through PlayBoy during lunch? I've told folks that such policies are an HR nightmare waiting to happen.

I wrote a paper a while ago on this subject, but I think it's still accurate and hopefully relevant
http://www.tisc2002.com/newsletters/211.html

One needs to know its positively Jane Doe that
went to the porn site (which is against policy) or it was someone who sat
down at her authenticated workstation when she walked away without logging
off (which is against policy) before disciplinary actions are initiated.

David M. Piscitello
Core Competence, Inc. &
3 Myrtle Bank Lane
Hilton Head, SC 29926