Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Fw: Is the order of the rules entered in iptables important?

From: "Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr." <kdubuisson () kcmria com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:27:58 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr." <kdubuisson () kcmria com>
To: <firewall-wizards () honor icslabs com>
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 8:23 AM
Subject: Fw: [fw-wiz] Is the order of the rules entered in iptables
important?

Thanks for the responses.  Now another question:  Do I have to duplicate
my
rules on the INPUT chain on the OUTPUT and FORWARD chains?  The examples
that I've been using to study what we want to do shows rules duplicated
from
the INPUT chain to the OUTPUT and FORWARD chains.  But my understanding is
that if a rule is hit in the INPUT chain and the target is ACCEPT, it
skips
the other chains.  Anything that you could provide to help clear this up
would be very appreciated.

Thanks again,
Kenny