Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The yearly FTP rant (Was: Re: Passive FTP and NAT/PAT with PIX and Serv-U)

From: Fritz Ames <fritzames () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:51:54 -0500

All,
I guess that I am with Mr. Kistner. Rant time? (...stepping up on soapbox...) Does that mean that we can criticize the old protocols for not meeting standards based on our current perspective? Is it important to remember that we are standing on the shoulders of giants? To casually dismiss the tremendous volume of good work that went into the infrastructure that we enjoy today is a shame--and a waste of institutional knowledge. Take a look at http://www.ayukov.com/nftp/ftp-rfc.html for a taste of what went into building the FTP we have today. Then take a look at RFC959 ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html ), which is 16 years old, predates many of our group's knowledge of even the existence of the Internet, and is an extensive piece of specification work. More work probably went into just the generation of the ASCII-art block diagrams showing how FTP works than went into most of the criticism that I have seen. Read, completely, RFC2468 and RFC2555 (Really. They're not long.) to see who *some* of these people are whom we are criticizing. (So this sounds like I am on a soapbox... I'll get down now.) Ummm... So I guess that I'll have to sign on to help work on a better spec., to replace the current spec. Where do I go to stand in line? (Why can't I work on a more *fun* one--having meetings in Paris to talk about XML?) [;-)]

Thanks,

Fritz