Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco CCNA Test setup

From: Evan Wagner <ewagner () Radix Net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

A bit off topic but since he mentioned IOS firewall feature set what the
heck...

Alan, first thing to do is review the exam requirements at

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/current_exams/640-507.html

Firewalls are not mentioned in the exam requirements so you can probably
leave the IOS firewall feature set alone for now. When you are interested
in learing about firewalls, I suggest you spend time with a dedicated
platform such as Cisco PIX, Gauntlet, Raptor, SonicWall Pro, etc.

Hands on experience with hardware is generally a good idea though not
absolutely necessary if you merely want to pass the test. Two routers
would be better than one and 1601's with a serial crossover cable are the
best way to go in my opinion.

I've passed many of the Cisco Prometric exams over the years including
CCIE routing & switching (opted not to take the CCIE lab test because I
have no need to learn about ATM, dial backup over ISDN, DLSW+, Token Ring
switching, IPX routing and other such technologies to that level of
detail>. If you know the basics well, you will have no trouble passing the
CCNA test.

Best of luck,

--Evan