Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Trojan detection and open ports

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 02:06:57 -0700

Have a client whose laptop was recently infected by the new Magistr.B
virus.

In investigating this problem, I noticed that this machine (Win98SE)
had some mysterious open ports, in particular:

135: TCP
5053: TCP
7000: TCP
7000: UDP

135 I remember from somewhere as normal (a NetBIOS thing?) but lists
I have call it "DCE endpoint resolution" which doesn't make any sense
to me.  None of the trojan port lists I reviewed showed anything on
5053, and 7000 is used by SubSeven, among others.  Using a trojan
scanner didn't turn up anything.

Anyone have any ideas what might be keeping those ports open?

Lastly - I was hoping to find some sort of tool that would scan for
common open ports used by trojan programs, but the only anti-trojan
tools I seem to be able to easily find are ones that run on the local
PC.  Any pointers to something that works like the various DDoS
zombie scanners or the eEye CodeRed scanner?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist () ekahuna com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium