Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Protecting publicly reacheable servers (e.g. HTTP)?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 12:49:21 -0500

In message <200111221328.fAMDSNE49768 () hugo10 ka punkt de>, "Patrick M. Hausen"
writes:
Dear fellow wizards,

Yesterday we got into a small internal arguement about
wether protecting publicly reachable servers with
currently available firewall products makes any sense
or not.

A large corporation asked for an offer for "housing" of
a web and database server including hardware and software
for the server itself and "firewall protection".
The server is supposed to offer content to the public via
HTTP.

My reasoning has always been that - given the state of
firewall products today - a static packet filter that
blocks all but port 80 would be the most appropriate
solution to offer some sort of protection to the server
machine.

So  basically, I have two questions to you all:

1. Do you aggree with me wrt to the firewall vs. packet filter topic?
  What's the intention of all these companies offering more complicated
  setups? Besides making money at the job, of course. I don't imply
  they are consciously trying to sell a big unnecessary something.
  They rather do think they sell something "good", IMHO.
  So, what's the point?

You're almost certainly correct.  The only question is what other ports
on the Web server "need" to be available -- say, for RPC on Solaris or
Win2K, or for administrative access to the machine, perhaps to update
content.  My vote is almost always for a packet filter in such a
situation.

2. In the last couple of years a new type of device coined "layer 4 switch"
  appeared and these things seem to have reached a certain level of
  maturity and market penetration. I'm talking about load balancing
  devices like e.g. Big IP.

  Since these things actually look inside the HTTP requests to provide
  (at least they claim to provide) session and cookie persistence and
  similar stuff when distributing the requests to a farm of servers
  - what do you think these boxes add to the security of the web
  servers they "load balance"? Some claim to protect against certain
  types of DoS attacks, too.

If they're designed to filter URLs and the like, they might help.  On
the other hand, there's absolutely no reason that they themselves
couldn't be vulnerable to, say, buffer overflows.  The more complex a
device is, the more it's at risk, and that applies to hosts, firewalls,
or load balancers.  The purpose of a firewall is to keep the bad guys
away from buggy (or otherwise insecure, but generally buggy) software;
if the firewall or other front-end is itself buggy -- well, you can
finish the sentence by yourself.

                Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com