Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Content scrubbers and application proxies...recommendations?

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:59:05 -0500

David Hawley wrote:
This is religion, of course... but I assume you know Gauntlet came from
FWTK?

Gauntlet was (originally) the firewall toolkit with a bunch of install
scripts, a patching system, cryptographic checksums, and a
user interface written in curses - all integrated to run on BSD/OS...

I too know the story about how the Author of FWTK was, in effect, ripped off
on royalaties for
FWTK, as implemented in Gauntlet..

Not exactly ripped off. I was working for a salary and my company owned
all the rights to everything I wrote. I got my 2 paychecks a month, just
like everyone else, but I didn't have any equity in what I built. So my boss'
boss got rich. That's the way these things go...

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum          Chief Technology Officer, NFR Security, Inc.
Work:                           http://www.nfr.com
Personal:                      http://www.ranum.com