Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Consine FW

From: "Pieper, Rodney" <rodney.pieper () eds com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:37:12 -0600

Having a multiprocessor CPU with CheckPoint will not give the added
throughput you might think. This is a single threaded process. You gain some
performance by having a second processor to handle os related tasks but
beyond that you gain nothing.

Another bottleneck in many systems (including Sun) is the bus speed. Even if
you have gig in and out the data has to get to the processor and back to the
other interface. This is a big issue on people working with qfe (quad
10/100) cards.

You can push a dual processor box with CheckPoint to 60-70 with tweaking - I
have a 17 page set of notes that I use to wring the most out of the box.

Rod Pieper