Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Raptor Firewall and ISL/802.1q Trunking

From: Lenard Lynch <llynch () jorsm com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 01:22:39 -0600

I agree with Evan.

The whole "hybrid switch/router" device provides many options, but not always options that security professionals will
want to exercise.  I do not know anyone personally that uses it, there are some interesting options under SDE
(http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/537/6.html).

I should have stated more clearly that each VLSM subnet should be configured on it's own VLAN (making sure that VLAN 1
is not used).  Access control is done at layer 3, and care should be taken when configuring the trunk port for the
router, that is, unless you have enough physical router ports so that one is not needed.  Said another
way:  one trunk port for your physical router port, per physical switch (if you do not have a "switch/router" chassis)
insures that a trunk will never exist between switches.  This provides "one arm routing" for your VLANs.  Since Cisco
has made the design decision that a port can only belong to a single VLAN, to get a single router
port to do this routing for you, make the switch port a trunk and define a sub interface for each VLAN on the router's
interface, setting the encapsulation type.  Also, care must be used when configuring the IP routing as well.

These are the reasons for even considering the use of a trunk:   scalablity, space considerations and cost control.

Dwaine's original question (it seemed to me) takes the next step (looking from the scalablity, etc perspective).  If
the firewall can full fill the function of the router (terminate the IP route gateway address) this removes the
requirement of having the router.

Now that we have discussed possibilities for providing connectivity, we need to discuss what countermeasures the design
needs to provide.  It is entirely possible that a switch/router pair will not meet those needs.  In that case, a more
costly solution will have to be adopted.

Evan Wagner wrote:

VLANs are not very 'secure' particularly if trunking is involved.

Here is an excellent SANS article that may be of help to you:

http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/vlan.htm

The recommendations state: "Try not to use VLANs as a mechanism for
enforcing security policy. They are great for segmenting networks,
reducing broadcasts and collisions and so forth, but not as a security
tool.

If you MUST use them in a security context, ensure that the trunking ports
have a unique native VLAN number."

--Evan