Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: CISSP

From: "Jeff Brown" <jvbrown () gte net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:59:52 -0500

It's likely that this thread will run open-loop
on fw-wiz, as this is more akin to an enigma.

These questions and responses bring to mind
similar long running debates on real-world vs.
theoretical experience. While few would argue
that 'cockpit' expertise is important in gaining a
true understanding of the InfoSec issues, the
existence of some minimum standard (CISSP or
other) is necessary to establish a starting point.

We have all seen and understand the difference
between a certified newbie Novell/Microsoft/other
'gurus', and the individuals that are so busy doing
the WORK, they have little time/interest in a cert.

Generally, the cert seems to be most important
to those interested in Resume building...
these days, an increasingly significant motivator.

Heck,  I wonder what % of BlackHats (some
of which are as skilled in these elements as any
whitehat) need a CISSP behind their handle ?

My sense is that most hiring entities would opt
for a PROVEN cockpit expert anyday.

JVBrown