Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX questions

From: shewitt () cdw com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:23:26 -0500

Conduits are going away.
Make sure to use access-lists for all your traffic filtering.

WebSense is enabled for traffic by the "filter url" command
filter url http 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 allow
This will use websense for all HTTP traffic coming across the PIX.  The
allow statement at the end tells the PIX to allow HTTP traffic to pass if
the websense server doesn't respond.

With one of the slightly newer versions of the PIX and websense software,
you can communicate to the websense server using UDP.  I have had great luck
with this and hightly recommended it over TCP if it works for you.  I found
that when I used TCP, each request was sent in a completely new TCP session.
This created an unnecessary amount of overhead

Here's how to configure the PIX for it:
url-server (inside) host x.x.x.x timeout 3 protocol UDP version 4

Scott Hewitt
Internet Network Administrator
shewitt () cdw com <mailto:shewitt () cdw com>