Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Exchange Server 2000 and Cisco Pix

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 02:28:43 -0400

Chris,

Just another example of a firewall trying to be an application level filter.

Look in the Syslog files for your PIX ad check if you see any that look like this:

%PIX-2-108001: SMTP made noop: out chars in chars data: chars

This is a PIX Mail Guard (SMTP) message (syntax is fixup protocol smtp). This message is logged if the PIX makes a no-op of an unsupported SMTP commands (the supported commands are HELO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA, RSET, NOOP, and QUIT) as per RFC 821, and reports the offending command.

Exchange Server may be issuing SMTP commands that PIX doesn't like or trying to use ESMTP (eHlo). If so, you'll need to turn off MailGuard ("no fixup protocol smtp") or re-configure your Exchange Server.

Regards from Shanghai China,

Brian