Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Firewall-1 platforms

From: David Lang <dlang () diginsite com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:24:44 -0800 (PST)

they all boil down to things that you can do if you have a full OS
underneath to do other things that we want to do.

for example we have a serial logging setup where all our firewalls and
servers on the different network segments have syslog set to send the logs
through a uni-directional serial connection (the data wire going to the
server is cut). this is fairly simple to do with syslog, but with a nokia
we would have to have it syslog over the network, then have another box
receive the syslog data and push it over the serial port.

we also have some somple log analysis reports that get generated on the
firewall nightly and e-mailed out. (useage reports, etc) that would be
more difficult to setup if we have to get the logs to a different server
first.

In our case the 4 locations that we are looking at putting the firewall-1
boses are seperated by several other firewalls and as such it is not the
case that there is a single box that they can all talk to for these
functions.

there are a few other things (and more keep popping up) but that's the
basic idea.

David Lang

 On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Smith, Gary (SCOTAM)