Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: Firewall-1 platforms

From: "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:28:29 -0500

Hello Gary,
Nokia is good platform for FW-1, but there are some things to keep in mind.

First, Nokia often lags in patch release. Often, you'll see a few weeks
between the time a patch/hotfix/service pack comes out for the Sun version
of FW-1 and the Nokia version.

Second, Nokia is based on BSD. My understanding (could be wrong) is that
Checkpoint is asking all application vendors to now run the Linux version of
FW-1. This would mean that conceivably at some point Nokia will have to
switch from BSD to Linux. This *is* speculation on my part, but it seems
reasonable.

Third, Sun is much faster at DES encryption throughput than Nokia (however,
Nokia seems to win in raw packet passing speed.) Also, I don't believe the
add on cards for encryption acceleration support Nokia yet, but I'm not
certain on that...

Fourth, with dual Sun boxes, and a good fail over product like StoneBeat, I
believe you can do load balancing of traffic between both Sun boxes. As far
as I know, you can't do load balancing between two Nokia boxes yet.

Just some of my random thoughts and considerations. But, like I said,
overall, Nokia is a good platform, depending on your needs.

-Andrew Kalat