Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IP filter - Fw1 comparison

From: Chris Keladis <chris () cmc cwo net au>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:25:01 +1100

Johan Allard wrote:

According to Checkpoint, they have some 50%+ of the market share and the
question now is: How do we know which product holds what share of the
market?

Good question..

Since firewalls should be silent it shouldn't be possible to make
sites like http://www.netcraft.com/survey/ with automated tools for
calculating market share.

Well be carefull there.. A firewall 'should not' mess with the upper
application layers like http, unless it provides proxy services.

To my knowledge IPFilter does not do this.. I'm not sure but i dont think
Checkpoint does either (at least for WWW).

The Netcraft survey compares WWW servers, not firewalls.

Regards,

Chris.