Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

[Fwd: Help with ipchains rules]

From: "Marnix Petrarca, DaemonLabs.com." <Marnix () DaemonLabs com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:59:39 -0100

--- Begin Message --- From: "Marnix Petrarca, DaemonLabs.com." <Marnix () DaemonLabs com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:41:29 -0100
In other words, you don't need named if you can get your current
dns-server (where you registered your web/domain-names) to point at the
IP or the virtual IP's of your webserver to-be.

Much more beatiful is in the end only an open port 80. And while you're
at it, disable XFS after configuration - saves you another port. That's
the GUI-server that serves 'windows' to you.

Bye now -- Marnix

"Marnix Petrarca, DaemonLabs.com." wrote:

Hi again,

the beauty of it is that local also means localhost, which is basically
you when you do what you want to do. It doesn't matter that there's no
network behind it. If you want to set up a full-featured dns-server,
that's really something else. You don't just do that by running named as
a caching-only server. You will have to build dns-records and so on, and
make sure somewhere on the net the machines know who the first
Nameserver was, i.e. where it was first created.
It's a lot easier if you just let the current DNS server point to your
caching-dns machine, just adjust the the point-to address. You find the
current one by typing in your domain-names and see where you come out.
Or use nslookup. If you registered at Register.com then for $70,-/2 Yrs
it would have been settled - no extra charge. At register.com you can
simply set the point-to to the IP# of your webserver/DNS server. Check
it out - you will be less vulnerable.

And yes, it's that simple. A lot simpler than your ruleset. Don't forget
to first flush the rules, then set up the Deny rule, forget the DHCP
ports if you dont use them, forget the timings - you don't need them
really (defaults OK), and allow for local packets to be forwarded, and
deny all others.

Really, that's all. Try it out. And if you can arrange for physically
making changes instead of via SSH, you'll be a lot safer again.

And if you're really up to speed, try and use snort for an IDS - it's
free. (www.snort.org)

Cheers -- M

I'm a Swinger wrote:

Hi, thanx for the reply...
The reason why the home networking how-to was a little confusing for me was
that I don't have any sort of network.  Just the linux box.  And it's sole
purpose is to serve webpages (virtual hosting), and DNS (the four domains I
have registered for the four webpages), and SSH (for obvious reasons).
That's why I'm assuming I need a VERY simple ruleset.  (I just don't think
it's quite as simple as the sample I provided) :-)

Curtis