Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: need advice on a NAT issue.

From: Mike Johnson <mike.johnson () isunnetworks com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:50:46 -0500

hesselsp () ashaman dhs org [hesselsp () ashaman dhs org] wrote:
I do have a limit to the number of ports I can filter.  Zero.  I can not
be filtering ANYTHING, all I am using this for is NAT.

According to the engineers at stonesoft, they do share state.

I am at my wits end here.  I can't beleive that their isn't a NAT product
that will provide high availability.(or should I say fault tolerant, which
is more like what I want.)

Assuming you're not stuck on Firewall 1...

Netscreen claims that they failover NAT sessions between their
boxes.  They copy all session information between the two boxes,
which includes NAT info.

You could also probably coble something together with ipfilter, if
you're looking to do it on the cheap.  ipfilter has a method for
saving and restoring NAT states
(http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ipfil-new.html).

Mike
--