Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: Security of satellite links into an organisation

From: "Safier, Adam (GEIO)" <Adam.Safier () geio ge com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:43:45 -0500

I'm not sure what the MS proxy function is, or do you mean the MS Proxy goes
in the ISP?

As I understand it the requests go out through the ISP proxy and all replies
sends it directly to each of your remote locations.  The Proxy is hiding
your network from the world.

I would make sure the Proxy will only do the following:
- the proxy only accepts "established" connections (i.e. replies to web
queries and no connections initiated from the internet to the Proxy itself).
- that it is actually doing NAT on your behalf so your internal IP addresses
are not directly accessible from the internet
- that it has IP forwarding turned off.

You still have all the usual risks of surfing like malicious code hidden in
web pages and users downloading viruses.  If you want to try centralized
virus filtering and code checking you would need to get the ISP to provide
it as a service at or in front of the Proxy.  You are effectively
outsourcing part of your security and should have appropriate security
outsourcing agreements in place.

Adam