Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () underground org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:13:34 -0800

I forgot to add something to my last message. I apologize for replying
to my own message. I know its in bad form.

It should also be noted that these dual-host proxies are nothing new.
In fact Bill Cheswick described just such set up as being used at
AT&T Bell Labs in his "The Design of a Secure Internet Gateway" paper.
http://www.ja.net/CERT/Cheswick/gateway.html

Quoting from his abstract:

        "This paper describes our Internet gateway. It is an application-level
        gateway that passes mail and many of the common Internet services
        between our internal machines and the Internet. This is accomplished
        without IP connectivity using a pair of machines: a trusted internal
        machine and an untrusted external gateway. These are connected by
        a private link. The internal machine provides a few carefully-guarded
        services to the external gateway. This configuration helps protect the
        internal internet even if the external machine is fully compromised."

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

--
Aleph One / aleph1 () underground org
http://underground.org/