Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OT: Information Security policy

From: Nigel Willson <NWillson () tbg com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:27:34 -0700

I am looking for information about implementing and
considering Information
Security policies.

How many people actually consider the BS7799 Standard?

I have found a majority of companies use BS7799 as a base
for policy, especially financial institutions. I built a
60-page document myself although I do not recommend a long
document, better short 2-page focused policies. Human
friendly.

Are there any other standards that people recommend?

Yes, a lot of enterprises are basing policy upon privacy
standards such as HIPAA and Gramm Leach Blilely. It can
save a lot of cost and pain later.

Do developers and designers or security enforce "roles and
access" upon data itself, to ensure that users of the
information follow the policy that is set within the company.

Newer technologies are supporting the enforcement of business
rules/policy in access controls else policy can become, yes we
have policy!, where is it?

RBAC is getting hot, as a leverage of directories and a savior
before migrating to Windows 2000.

Nige.
Senior Consultant,
The Burton Group.