Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Protocols supporting proxy auth?

From: Jeff.Hodges () kingsmountain com
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:37:36 -0800

matthew () hairy beasts org said:
Is there a reference anywhere for protocols (or protocol abuses) which
support proxy authentication?

Well, I don't know of one per se, but protocols that incorporate SASL..

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2222.txt

..SHOULD support, I believe, what you're calling "proxy authentication".
LDAPv3 is one example that does. See..

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2829.txt

I believe you will find IMAP and ACAP do also. As far as others, I'd suggest
doing a full-text RFC search at (for example)..

  http://www.normos.org/

..for "sasl". I just did this and got 36 hits (though, some are SASL mechanism
definitions, rfc index docs, and so on).

Of course, protocols not based on SASL may also have a notion of "proxy
authentication" -- it may just be a bit more challenging to search 'em out.

JeffH