Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: POP vs IMAP vs MAPI - security through firewalls?

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:35:18 -0500

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:02:11AM +0200, Chris Crozier wrote:
Both POP3 and IMAP4 have stronger authentication mechanisms (APOP for POP3,
CRAM-MD5 for IMAP4), but I have never seen them used - nearly everyone uses
clear text passwords, which are blatantly lousy security.

In the 'qpopper' mailing list, a lot of people using the Qualcomm POP
daemon are asking about details of using APOP, which suggests that they
are using it.  This is just a data point to contrast against "never".
I don't have a similar one for IMAP4.

Whichever way you slice it, I believe that no-one should use email for
sensitive information without encrypting/signing at the client level since
none of the mail access protocols have any inherent security worth
considering, especially in the military context.

You'll be happy to know, then, that that's another part of the proposed
change.  ;-}

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B