Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Detection Systems, Best of breed?

From: "franks" <franks () nfr com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:30:52 -0800

You know that the semantics of the discussion is missing an important
factor a REAL life problem that mid-sized to large organizations have to
deal with , SIZE/SCALE. It's great to picture the common
IDS/NIDS/Honeypot for few choke points. But what happens when you have
to deal with +1000 servers, and many VPN/DMZ/Internet connections? How
do you analyze the data and make sense of tens of thousands of alerts,
let alone false positives. Reality is that most companies will place
IDS/HIDS/Honeypots on high profile segments and hope to net some bad
guys, this produces great pie charts that a manager can appreciate. What
is the becoming the most important in the Best of breed line up is
scale? Who can scale, and how easy is it to scale? Next who can upgrade
when upgrades of all sensors is required? Also let's throw quickly and
efficiently into the deployment too?