Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Home firewall (clarifacation)

From: adam <agraham () lcc net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:03:26 -0500

Thanx for the over wellming support...

many of the replies were dependant of what i am running....

so here it is...
        Red Hat 6.0 to 7.1 (which ever is supported best by firewall i want to use)
2 3com 905B Network cards and i have a third to use if need be (would like to set up a DMZ down the road)
        Pentium 2 350 MHz with 196 MB RAM
        and a 20 GB Hard Drive..

I know it is more box than needed.. but it is just what i am not using for something else...

I am using IP Masquerading now.. which in my understanding is IP Chains.. I have a Static IP at home... and have several machines behind the gateway box... here is what i would like to do.. for my experience... (keep in mind i work 18 hours a day as a developer not an admin). I would like to make the firewall act as a router in the sense that.. it will send all traffic on the Live IP from the ISP to a particular computer.. ex: i want all traffic on port 80 to go to my little developmental web server, and all SMTP and POP3 to go to my little developmental mail server.. but i want to be able to protect my MySQL server from all traffic not on the private side. I am under the thinking that this can be done under IP Tables not IP Chains... I am running Red Hat Professional Server on a majority of my servers and windows on my workstations... I hope this helps in giving me better guidance...

-Adam