Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Netscreen interface question

From: Yang Lee <ylee () net50 com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:57:54 -0400 (EDT)

The limit of interfaces in NS is going to be solved in NS-500 with
multiple interface modules. This feature is going to be implemented in
next screenos release, according to their product manager, which is a
couple months down the road (version 3.0).

Currently, Netscreen do have solutions for multiple dmz support - virtual
system. Basically, Netscreen 100 and above are capable of level 2 vlan
switching. So that the NS interface can be virtually divided into multiple
interface by packet tagging. Notice the catch here is, the virtual system
is as secure as the vlan can be, which is acceptable by most
practice standards.

In your situation, you will need a (pair of) NS with proper licensing from
Netscreen ($$ for xxVSs), and a matching switch capable of VLANs between
your firewall and routers (do i mention Extreme gears?).

Hope this help. Good luck.

#Yang Lee                                  #
#Sr. Internet Security Engineer, Net2phone #
#Tel. 973-412-3556                         #
#Email. ylee () net2phone com                 #
#Disclaimer:                               #
#My opinion here does not represent my     #
#employer in any way                       #