Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Non-IPsec VPN products

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:07:59 -0400

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:16:41AM -0700, marcvh () aventail com wrote:
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () post1 com> said:

Hi,

I'm scouting around for non-IPsec VPN products, commercial or freeware.

I know of just one: Aventail, which is SOCKS-based. Surely there will be
others?
Others have mentioned things like PPTP (which is essentially a remote
access technology) and L2TP (but that's related to IPsec, so I don't
think it would meet your criterion.)  SSH also might do what you want.

SSH definitely.  SSH Inc. does both IPsec and non-IPsec.  L2TP can be
used separately from IPsec, as well as with IPsec.

GRE can be used to create an unencrypted VPN.

Blue Ridge Networks (www.blueridgenetworks.com, www.blueridgevpn.com)
has the BorderGuard VPN router and the SkyLine VPN software that use a
precursor of IPsec that is still stronger than some implementations of
IPsec, and at least as strong as any.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Computer Support                                    EMT-B