Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Non-IPsec VPN products

From: marcvh () aventail com
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:16:41 -0700

Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () post1 com> said:

Hi,

I'm scouting around for non-IPsec VPN products, commercial or freeware.

I know of just one: Aventail, which is SOCKS-based. Surely there will be
others?

Like so many things, it depends on how one decides what is and is not a
"VPN."  Aventail now positions its technology as an "extranet" rather than
a VPN, though it does solve some of the problems that people are talking
about when they say "VPN."  Oh, and our marketing people would probably
like me to mention that we're a service company now rather than a product
company.

Others have mentioned things like PPTP (which is essentially a remote
access technology) and L2TP (but that's related to IPsec, so I don't
think it would meet your criterion.)  SSH also might do what you want.

V-One used to be purely non-IPsec but they seem to have migrated to
a hybrid position which has solutions with and without it.  InfoExpress's
VTCP also comes to mind as a non-IPsec approach.

- Marc

--
Marc VanHeyningen                 marcvh () aventail com
Internet Security Architect