Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Throughput

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () tla org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:20:47 -0700

--On 09/11/00 08:33:36 PM +1100 Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au> wrote:

My problem with PIX is as follows.  Cisco push it along the lines of
"you don't want unix/windows on your firewall because they're crashable"
but at the same time try to sell it as a "router firewall".  You damn
well don't want a router as a firewall either!  You can make a "firewall"
out of any Cisco thing which will support the CBAC feature set so why
does it need to be a PIX in particular ?  Where I'm now working, we use
the CBAC feature set on the "outside" and IP Filter on the inside.  There
have been packets which CBAC has let through that IP Filter won't (NOTE:
I didn't build this firewall :).  That rings alarm bells, to me.  IMHO,
they're putting too much into the IOS.  I also don't fancy the idea of
the "firewall" booting up and one day wanting to tftp a boot image from
whoever will answer...

Ummm... where are you getting your information from? PIX does _not_ run IOS. It is a "router" as opposed to a "bridge" (but then, so is ip-filter on most platforms :). It's main limitation right now is that it _doesn't_ act as a real router - it only listens to RIP v1 or v2, and can't even forward that properly. Static routes are about the only thing you can do with the things.

You're correct that CBAC isn't as restrictive as ip-filter. However, the PIX does not use the CBAC code, and ip-filter still, sadly, rejects valid traffic as it does not understand the advanced IP options used for "Long Fat Pipes". As I use ip-filter at home, I hope someone manages to fix that code Real Soon Now :)

--
Carson Gaspar
Security Architect